Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tuna Pasta Salad

Today is one of those days when I really love my job, because two days a week, I get to eat lunch at home.  I know that sounds silly, but it makes a big difference in my work/rest of my life balance.  Of course, the flip side of that coin is that I work a good number of Saturdays and evenings (so, let's just say it all balances out).


What does this have to do with "Tuna Pasta Salad?"  Well, today, I was looking in my fridge for something to eat for lunch, and nothing appealed to me.  Then, I looked in the pantry:  PASTA!  I love pasta (could eat it for every meal, I think), but it's clearly not the most healthy option all the time.  Today, I decided I'd try to mix in enough other ingredients to make the dish healthy, and I ended up with something that was incredibly tasty - and healthy - so I'm sharing here.  


Keep in mind, I threw in a little of this and that when making, so the ingredient amounts may not be right on:



  • About 1/3-1/2 pound pasta - your favorite shape.  I had a box of piccolo (small) fusilli
  • couple hands full of cherry or grape tomatoes
  • handful of salad greens (I had mixed organic salad greens)
  • can of white albacore tuna, packed in water (packed in oil would be even better)
  • several ounces of goat cheese (plain, sold in log-shape style)
  • 1-2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper to taste

I boiled the pasta in salted water.  Halfway through, I added the tomatoes (did not cut them), so they would get soft and sort-of-cooked.  Drained the pasta and mixed with the rest of ingredients.  Viola - a great, warm, relatively healthy pasta salad.  I ate half and put the rest in the fridge for later. We have some fresh arugala in our garden, and I think that would be even better than the mixed greens; call me lazy for not walking out there to get it.

Enjoy!

No comments: