Sunday, August 15, 2010

Zucchini overload!

We've planted a garden the past few summers.  Ahem - I should clarify - Brian plants a garden.  I just pick the veggies once they're ready!  Trust me, it's best this way.

This year, I think we planted one too many zucchini plants.  I've had more zucchini than I've known what to do with; unfortunately, it's not my favorite vegetable, either.

What to do?  Zucchini bread!  I got this recipe from the Wood Family Cookbook, a collection of recipes from Brian's paternal grandmother's family.  If I'm ever looking for a southern staple, this is my first stop.  It's delicious!

Zucchini Bread
Notes:  1) This makes too much batter for one loaf pan; the recipes doesn't indicate so, but I think it's probably a double recipe.  2) I found this to take more than the suggested 35 minutes.  I suggest setting your timer for 35, then checking using the "clean toothpick" test.  If not done, keep trying at 10 minute increments.  I ended up cooking mine closer to an hour, and it was still incredibly moist.

3 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
3/4 c. finely chopped nuts (I leave these out, because Anna doesn't dig them)
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 c. vegetable oil (clearly eliminates any suggestion that this is a health food)
2 t. vanilla
2 c. coarsely shredded zucchini (I just used a manual grater, but you could certainly use your food processor)
8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained well

Combine dry ingredients, set aside.  Beat eggs, add sugar, oil and vanilla.  Beat until creamy. Stir in zucchini and pineapple.  Add dry ingredients, stirring until just moist.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes until done.

Enjoy!

No comments: