Friday, February 18, 2011

And Baby MK Makes Four

Baby MK is one week old today.  And, the birth of a new baby isn't included in the common list of lifetime "milestones" for no reason.  Having done this twice now, I can attest that welcoming a child (biological or adopted, I would imagine) into your family generates such an incredible bevy of emotions.  In other words, the whole thing is an emotional roller coaster ride.

The past week has been no exception.  At several points (ok - many), I've thought to myself, "I should blog about this so I don't forget it."  And, then my next thought is, "Uh - who am I kidding?  If I have one free moment, I'm sleeping."  So, I now force myself to sit down (MK is napping; her big sister AG is at preschool; my husband is at work) and record some of this journey so I can look back one day and recall the reality.  Because, truly, while you can remember generalities, very few of the visceral details stick around very long (otherwise, the human race would be extinct).  Now, I can't possibly recall and/or record everything that transpired over the past week, but here are a few nuggets:

Setting the stage:  

The past few months have been crazy, crazy, crazy at our house.  Not "bad" crazy, but just nuts.  Or, as some would day, "just life."  I'm a working mother.  Honestly, I waffle about whether this is the right thing for my family and for me - I've even tried "part-time" on for size since my first daughter, AG, was born in 2008.  But, in the end, I determined that the benefits of working full-time outweighed any negative on our lives.  But - if I'm going to spend some of my time away from my children - it needs to be worthwhile, both financially and from a career growth perspective.  It's not okay with me to leave them for "a job."  And, I also require some level of flexibility.  Without those things, I'm out.  After four years in the same job (a job I do really like at a University for which I'm passionate), I was feeling the need for growth (okay - I've been feeling that need for the past year).  So, I began to try to create new opportunities for myself.  In short, the stars aligned, and I began a new role about 3-4 months ago.

Why do I mention this?  Well...be careful what you ask for, kids, because this new role is incredibly demanding, and I was continuing to carry on with my old job (new hires take months in a University setting).  And, I never had a typical 40 hr/wk job anyway (remember my "career" comment?)...so my typical schedule the past few months has been something like this:  7:00-8:30 get household ready and take AG to school; 8:30-3:00 office (I do leave everyday at 3 to pick up AG from school) which is generally comprised of back-to-back meetings; 3:30-8:00 spend time with AG, fix dinner, any household errands, bathe and put AG to bed; 8:00-11:00 work some more.  Sprinkle in a bit of work-related travel and some nights/weekends events, and there you have it.

We also have our house on the market, as we hope to find a place with more space.  And, to top it all off, we bought a new car (which wouldn't be worth mentioning except it was more of a process that it should've been).  So, just when I would think I'd have a Saturday morning to relax, our realtor would call and say we had a showing...which is great, right?

The net net:  I've been pretty tired.  And, toward the end of my pregnancy, I don't think I was sleeping more than an average of 5 hrs per night, between been mentally charged and physically uncomfortable.  Basically, I was too tired to sleep.

It wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention that I wasn't alone in this.  My husband is incredibly supportive and makes possible all that we do.  He also works hard and is an incredible father.  That said, women (at least in my household) still bear the burden of most of the domestic duties (note: I do have a bi-weekly cleaning service, without which I would be nuts).

Labor/Delivery/Hospital Stay/Etc:

I delivered AG at 37 weeks after my water broke.  Long labor story I won't recount (you'll note every woman has a "story").  By 37 weeks with MK, I was DONE.  So, when at 39 weeks I was still pregnant, I couldn't go into labor fast enough!  On 2.10.11, I woke up at 5 a.m. feeling "different."  But, I wasn't sure, so I went in to work; I left a noon.  I then high-tailed it to the car dealership where I was scheduled to pick up my new car at 4 p.m. that day; it wasn't ready any earlier. GRRRR....but I didn't have time; at this point, I knew "different" was likely labor.  

Next stop:  Quizno's to get a sub.  Here's a tip for all you pregnant ladies:  The hospital will not give you any food until after you deliver.  And, if you have a long labor (which I did with AG), you will be HUNGRY and have very little energy (other than adrenaline) to complete the task at hand. So, inbetween contractions, I took bites of my sandwich.  There are some negative consequences of said actions, but still a good decision, I think.

I got home just in time for my water to break.  Uh, sweet.  I called my husband and then my OB, who suggested I come into the office.  We did so; doctor sent us to the hospital.  Here's where I had deja vu.  I guess my body's MO is to break water and then do very little else.  Very slow to dilate.  So, nurse Bonnie (bless her) suggested I get an epidural followed by a round of pitocin to speed things along.  Sounded good to me; I wanted to meet this baby!

The next few hours were great.  Husband was at my side; I had the drugs and was watching some TV.  Much, much different experience than with AG (thought I'd die in pain with that one).  Note to self:  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  After about 8 hrs of this, I start feeling very different; lots of back pain, chills, etc.,  And, feeling ready to "push."  Nurse called in - she checks things out to confirm I'm ready to push (I am) - and her face falls.  She says, "I think this baby's breech (feet first)."  Uh - nobody has every mentioned this very important fact to me before.  Doctor called in.  Face falls.  Same conclusion, only he looks very concerned.  We must get baby out now ('cause baby is coming OUT, and in the wrong direction) via C-section.  I look at husband:  he now looks concerned.  But - let's do this.

To the OR - about 10 people there - why does it take so many?  Anesthesia team can't seem to get me "numb," so they try a crazy cocktail of drugs, which finally work.  Of course, the result is I can't get comfy, feel like I'm going to puke the whole time (which is hard to do, by the way, when you're flat on your back and strapped down), am shaking and at one point, feel like I have an elephant sitting on my chest.  I didn't say I was going to spare details.

The hardest thing about a C-section, I've decided:  You don't get to hold your baby when she arrives into this world.  They whisk her away after a quick glance; I didn't see her again for some time (20 min?).  During that time, I was in and out...but something else was going on.  There were some afterbirth complications (I'll spare you the details) that made things pretty hairy and will impact any future decision to have children.  Let's just say that it was a blessing in disguise that I had to have a C-section, because I would've had emergency surgery anyway.  Poor husband was trying to divide time between OR (where I was beginning to get freaked out) and nursery (to check on his new daughter).  Such a bizarre experience.

In the end, MK is worth all of this, and we're both doing incredibly well.  But, my husband and I are still annoyed that through 9 mos of prenatal care - and nearly 12 hrs of labor in the hospital - no doctor or nurse ever realized MK was breech until she was almost out.  Subsequent doctors visits have confirmed she was breech all along.  Let's just say this makes my analytical lawyer husband very, very annoyed.

First Few Days:

Totally bizarre.  I fell in love instantaneously.  No need to say anything more about that.  It's just a feeling like no other.  I was honestly worried about having the same feelings for MK that I did for AG.  No problem. I'd lay down my life for both of them, and I feel like that isn't a strong enough statement.

Because C-section is surgery, a pretty different after-birth experience.  More hookups (code for:  didn't get out of bed for more than 24 hrs after birth); more meds (code for:  loopy).  What was the same:  visitors.  Now, let me be clear:  I love my family (I include my husband's family in this statement), and I know I need the help and support (especially with AG at home).  But, I'm a fairly private person in many ways (you wouldn't know it from this post), and I really value the alone time I have with my new baby (and my husband).  My family doesn't see it that way.  So - I pretty much has around-the-clock visitors while I was in the hospital.  The good news is that I was able to keep it down to those closest to me (grandparents of MK; my sister; etc.), but I don't know that I had more than a couple of hours alone.  I missed that.  Again - I love and appreciate all of my family - but I'm just being honest about what I missed.  My sister, on the other hand, delivered her second child in Charlotte several days later (crazy, huh?) and - coincidentally - had a good bit of alone time.  And, she would've much preferred it the other way around; different strokes...

Anytime family is brought into the equation, stress is also introduced.  So, without going into detail, let's just say during the first few days, there was some minor family "drama," as we were all sleep-deprived and on edge.  And, people's feelings are easily hurt.  But, between the painkillers to take the edge off and the historical knowledge that "this too shall pass," I was able to shrug most of it off.

Emotional Roller Coaster

I referenced this earlier.  So, over the past week, I have felt all of the following:

  • Extreme love.  Love for my children.  Love for my husband.  Love for my mother for staying to help in any way she could.  Love for my father and husbands parents for wanting to help however they could.  
  • Gratitude.  Could I be any more blessed?  Forget all the stressors of everyday life; the only thing that matters is this family that my husband and I have created.  I couldn't ever ask for anything more.  In fact, what did I ever do to deserve this?
  • Pure joy.  I've cried tears of pure joy as I look at my baby's face.
  • Sheer exhaustion.  My child things it's cool to sleep all day and stay awake all night.  My husband has to go to work, and I'm nursing, so guess who's up all night?
  • Defensive.  One evening, in particular, my husband and I got into a pretty big argument after he made a comment that I took the wrong way.  Took 24 hrs for us to really talk to one another again.  That leads me to...
  • Medicated.  Pain-killers are no joke.  Started taking Percocet in the hospital, which I'm pretty sure contributed to 99% (additional 1% thanks to hormones) of my defensive mode in said argument.  Developed what I think was an allergic reaction to it, so switched to Vicodin.  Also no joke, but feel much more "normal."  I've tried to stop taking, but pain is also no joke, so I'll likely finish out the prescription (a couple more days).  This, of course, means no wine that I've been wanting so badly.  I'm sort of over it, but again, the pain...
  • Annoyed.  Annoyed that people don't understand I just want to have some alone time with my baby.  Annoyed that I'm up all night.  Annoyed that I have a house showing tomorrow that I need to prep for. Just annoyed.  
The good news?  All those negative feelings are so small compared to the love and gratitude and joy.  This is an experience I wouldn't trade for the world.

I hear MK waking up.  AG will be home from school in an hour (by the way - I can't drive for two weeks - pretty interesting), so I have a little time to dote on my baby before the circus begin-:)

I'm sure this post was mundane and long to those of you reading it.  But, it's really for me.  I want to look back and read about this experience.  I'm going to try to document the first few weeks of this baby's life (in terms of my perspective and experience).   

No comments: