Friday, February 18, 2011

Things Fall Apart

Whew!

I knew the wheels would fall off the bus at some point.

MK and I had a lovely day - just the two of us.  My mother, who was staying with us to help since MK's birth a week ago, left yesterday afternoon.  And, to be honest, while I knew I'd miss all her help (she really was incredibly helpful), I also looked forward to some alone time with my baby.  After AG went to school and B went to work, the house was quiet.  At this stage in the game, MK is a perfect angel during the day - eating and sleeping almost on what seems like a schedule (hers, not mine).  But, starting around dinner time, the story is much different.

So sets the stage for our evening.  All was quite and pleasant on the home front when AG and B arrive home around 4 pm.  I should mention that - coincidentally - B has had one of his busiest work weeks in memory.  So, in addition to having a new baby and his MIL staying at his home (which, to be honest, I think he didn't mind at all), he's had a stressful work week.  So, they come in, and he immediately opens his laptop to get back to work (he left work early to pick up AG).

AG has had such a great reaction so MK's birth; she's incredibly loving toward her sister.  But, just in the past two days, she's begun to exhibit some (typical) behavior of a child who has a new sibling.  So, it was no surprise that she immediate decided to "get naked" and run around the house.  Okay, whatever.  I managed to calm her down with an episode of "Diego."  Meanwhile, B still working with stressed look on his face.  Because we don't have a home office, he's working at the dining room table; basically, we're all in the same space (hence need for new home).

Then, MK decides to start her "witching hour" ritual of wailing for about 30-45 minutes.  This is a child who is quite and content all day long.  And, all of a sudden, she's demanding to nurse every hour.  Uh, okay.  I can do that.

Then, B says he's hungry and what are we having for dinner?  This isn't quite as insensitive as it sounds (although, because I'm a "get up and go" type of person, I don't think he realizes that I still have significant pain and am supposed to take it easy) since we have some food I've pre-ordered and just needs to be heated.  But, I still have to make some side items.  But, no worries...EXCEPT my baby is demanding to be nursed (so I'm nursing her in the crook of my left arm and fixing dinner with my right hand) and AG is pulling at my leg wanting to be with me every step of the way.

B makes feeble attempt to help.  Baby isn't having it; neither is AG.  All want mommy.  B is incredibly frustrated.  He steps outside, sighing.  He come comes back in and announces we need to get hired help (note: we are hiring a nanny, but only for my work hours and after I return from maternity leave); we just can't do this.  My jaw drops open - is he kidding me?  I kindly remind him MK is only a week old and that we'll get the hang of this.  Have I mentioned that I've been doing all the getting up in the middle of the night?

Oh, so we sit down for dinner - MK in my arms, because that's the only way she'll be quiet.  After dinner, MK demands to be nursed again, so I sit down.  B clears the table but upon realizing the dishwasher is full of clean dishes, announces he "can't do it" and will clean the kitchen tomorrow.  Uh - again - are you kidding me?  Oh - and then AG - who insisted of wearing "big girl panties" when I said she couldn't eat dinner without any clothes on - peed on the sofa.  Not the leather one.

B takes Anna up to take a bath (score).  I attempt - with no success - to soothe MK asleep, and she's wailing as AG comes down to get me to read stories to her (what she calls "special mommy time").

It's at this point when B simply can't take anymore.  He exits the scene.  Oh - did I mention (I think not) that I suggested earlier today the he get out of the house this evening since he's had such a stressful week at work?  I could tell he was about to lose it.  So, he chooses to exit the scene right when I probably need him most.

Am I angry?  No.  Honestly, there must be more than one reason the doctors prescribe the painkillers after a C-section.  In addition to helping with pain, they do take the edge off.  So, whatever.

We'll get it down.  I think.

No comments: