Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Cuddlebug

After several friends emailed me with encouraging words (after reading my previous two blog entries), I realized it was time for something positive!  I certainly didn't intend for my other entries to come across as negative, but rather as my reality!

The short update:  MK is going a bit better at night, as long as she's sleeping right beside Mama...yep, that's right, right beside me.  She still wants to nurse more often at night than during the day, but at least I'm not up and about.  I never thought I'd be a supporter of the "family bed," and I'm certainly still not an advocate.  But, desperate times call for desperate measures, and this kid likes to cuddle.  We had a pediatric appointment today, and after describing our days (she's an angel) versus nights (demons come out), my beloved pediatrician (really, I love her) described MK as likely being "colicky."  So, there you have it.  Colic.  On the spectrum, she's probably mild; let's hope it stays that way.

The upside of this?  This daughter of mine loves to cuddle.  Her sister, AG, has never been much of a cuddly kid.  From day one home from the hospital, she slept great in her crib (never even had a basinette, moses basket, etc.), and even today doesn't enjoy much cuddle time.  She's good for a few hugs and kisses, but after that, she wants to move on (she's always on the move, period).  MK, on the other hand, just wants to be held - day and night.  During the day, I have more luck putting her down (swing, etc.), but she still prefers to be held.  She also has more "cushion" than AG had; this baby has surpassed her birth weight in fewer than the recommended two weeks.  She's a chunk (as much as a <8 lb baby can be).

So, while my bent is to be a "practical" parent - emphasizing things like sleep training, schedules and discipline (I'm more fun than I make it sound!), MK has reminded me to let go and just enjoy cuddling.  Because, one day all too very soon, I know both of my babies will be grown, and I'll wish they wanted to lie in bed with me at night and snuggle up.  I'm lucky that I get to enjoy this now.

No comments: