Sunday, March 20, 2011

This weekend.

Catchy title for the post, huh (insert sarcastic tone)?

I cried today.

Let me explain:

This weekend was fun.  My sister-in-law, Kelly, came to visit Maria (and her namesake) along with her family.  I really like Kelly and enjoyed even the little time we had to catch up and talk.

But - the visit also meant that we spent the majority of the weekend at my MIL's house for meals, just visiting, etc.  That's not a bad thing...not at all what I"m suggesting.  The tricky part was that AG and MK both were "out of sorts" - lacking in sleep (AG from playing with her cousins for 72 hrs straight; MK from just being away from her usual environment, etc.) and cranky.  But, that's par, right?

A few days ago, I would've told you that MK's little bout of colic was nearing its end...clearly, I made the declaration too soon.  MK had considerable episodes Friday night (started in the car on the way home at 8 and lasted until about 11); Saturday night (started at MIL's house at 6 or so and lasted until about 11); and most of the day today (first daytime episodes).  She finally knocked out around 4:30 pm.

So, I cried today.  Why?

 - It's exhausting.  I'm the only person who can calm her at all, so she's with me 24/7.  Literally.
 - It's so hard to hear your child cry like that.  I've read a lot about colic, and most physicians/experts claim the babies aren't actually in pain, but it sure sounds like it. It breaks my heart.
 - While most people are supportive in general of new mothers, a few persons have made comments about "how could I let her cry like that..." etc. - as if I haven't tried everything I know to comfort her.  So, while I'm a self-confident enough person to ignore most of these types of comments, it's still hard to hear!

I'm in hopes that this will be a better week - must like last week was - and that the tales of colic peaking at 6 weeks are true (would mean we're on the downslide after this week)!

At the end of the day, I just love this little girl so much.  When she isn't crying, she just beams and coos, and her face lights up. That's what I try to focus on!

No comments: