Wednesday, March 24, 2010

East Meets West.

 In a matter of hours, I leave Amsterdam for Istanbul, Turkey.  According to what I've read, Istanbul is the "only city connecting two continents," those being Europe and Asia, of course.  And, it was home to several key empires, including Roman.  So, it's often viewed as where the East and West meet, not only from a geographic perspective, but also on the cultural front.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about this leg of my journey.  Along with the "East" part of the equation comes a lot of misanthropy toward Americans.  I could write for days about whether those feelings are justified, what they stem from, etc.  Regardless, the sentiment exists.  I was checking my email Inbox the other night, and I saw a notification from the US Dept of State (the University registers all staff - voluntarily - with the Dept of State when traveling abroad, so we can receive important communication, etc.) urging Americans to travel to Turkey for the next month or so.  My first thougtht was, "Grrreeeaaatt."  Obviously, there's a "CYA" element to the official warning, but I also know it's grounded in some real concern for potential harm.  I know that because I'm just that person who then proceeded to do some Internet research (so factual, I'm sure) and pulled up all the info on recent terrorist attacks, the underlying issues, etc.

So, here I am, headed there in a few hours.  I've decided that I need to check my control issues at the airline desk and just sit back and relax (while simultaneously being smart and cautious, of course).  Because, really, I could over-analyze this for hours up on hours, but the reality is this:  I'm going.  The city is one of the most vibrant and incredible in the world.  I need to suck up and enjoy it.  Whether or not something (negative) happens is out of my hands.  It's like my fear of flying...there's simply nothing I can do to control the situation.  So, there.  That's my stance.  P.S.  I'm still nervous.  And excited.  And nervous.  And excited.

In the meantime since I last blogged, I've had a great time soaking up Amsterdam.  Yesterday, the student group I'm with visited the Heineken Brewery for a presentation on brand marketing (right up my alley) as well as a tour through the "Heineken Experience."  I thought this would be a simple facilities tour, etc., but it was no such thing. This was truly an experience, including a Disneyworld-like ride through the brewing process.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the two beers they provide at the end:)  I followed that with dinner at the oh-so-American Hard Rock Cafe.  Look:  Don't judge.  My travel companion wanted to go there (she was craving nachos), and I understand a food craving as well as the next girl, so I was there!  And, it was good.

I'm including a photo of some of my colleagues and I at the Disney of Heineken.

No comments: